Transport for London (TfL) announced that the strike had been â€śofficially suspendedâ€ť just hours before it was due to commence.Â
A mass walk-out by union members was predicted to see the closure of the entire Jubilee line, causing chaos for London commuters, following a row over new timetables.
The planned District line walkout on the same day has also been suspended.Â
Meetings between TfL and the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) and Aslef unionÂ last week failed to reach a resolution. An agreement was finally reached on Tuesday evening.
A second strike is still due to take place on 14 June, but yesterdayâ€™s talks were reported to be â€śconstructiveâ€ť.Â
The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, tweeted his approval of the outcome, saying: â€śThis shows the difference that Transport for London talking constructively to staff and trade unions can make.
â€śThe changes to the Jubilee line will improve services for commuters and I hope any differences can be resolved amicably.
â€śSince I became Mayor I have been determined that relations between TfL and hardworking staff and trade unions improve.â€ś
Nigel Holness, TfL’s director of network operations for London Underground, said: â€ťThe new timetable on the Jubilee line is benefiting thousands of customers every day, boosting capacity and making journeys quicker and more comfortable.
â€śWe have adhered to the agreements we have in place with our unions throughout this dispute and we are pleased that our customers will no longer be disrupted by unnecessary strike action on the Jubilee line tomorrow.â€ť
Mick Whelan, general secretary of Aslef, said: â€śWe welcome the agreement today that underpins the work/life balance in the arduous shift system that LU operates that was threatened by arbitrary changes.
â€ťThe additional guarantees given by the company today have allowed progress to be made.
â€śIt should not have come to this and we hope the company will engage in future and not create uncertainty for our members and the travelling public.â€ť